Sunday, August 23, 2009

How can I improve the speed and running of my pc?

I am incredibly un-technical. I defragment and disc clean up on a regular basis plus I scan for adware and viruses although I have Norton. Is there anything that I can do to speed things up a bit.



Please dont get too technical cos I wont understand it.



Its either muddle through on my own or pay someone to do it and I know it can be very expensive.



How can I improve the speed and running of my pc?virus



*****SPEED SOLUTIONS*****



Start up Files:



Every thing that appears in your systray (by the clock) when you start up is eating resources. Many programs will start when the PC starts by default. If it is not something you use the whole time you are on your PC from start to finish, get rid of the start up loaders. Things like Yahoo, AIM and such can be stopped in the respective program's preferences/options. Uncheck boxes that say Start "program name here" when Windows starts.



Other applications that may not offer this option can still be eliminated. Open "Run" on the start menu. Type in msconfig and click OK. Click on the start up tab. As you are not tech savvy, you will need to identify each file to deem if it is a necessary. Open your browser to Google. Enter the file names one at a time into Google. The first or second listing will identify the process for you. If the process is not for Windows, Norton, Internet/Network or any of your Hardware, un check the the box. Apply and reboot. On reboot you will get a dialog allowing you to choose to not run msconfig on start up. choose this option. You may have noticed your PC booted faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment