Friday, August 21, 2009

How do I set up security settings for my Linksys Wifi?

are there any tutorials out there that can step me through setting up my security settings for my Wifi?? so that adware/spyware can not get to my computer??



How do I set up security settings for my Linksys Wifi?computer virus



Change the System ID: Devices come with a default system ID called the SSID (Service Set Identifier) or ESSID (Extended Service Set Identifier). It is easy for a hacker to find out what the default identifier is for each manufacturer of wireless equipment so you need to change this to something else. Use something unique- not your name or something easily guessed.



Turn on (Compatible) Encryption: All Wi-Fi equipment supports some form of "encryption." Encryption technology scrambles messages sent over wireless networks so that they cannot be easily read by humans. Several encryption technologies exist for Wi-Fi today. Naturally you will want to pick the strongest form of encryption that works with your wireless network. To function, though, all Wi-Fi devices on your LAN must share the identical encryption settings. Therefore you may need to find a "lowest common demominator" setting.



Disable Identifier Broadcasting: Announcing that you have a wireless connection to the world is an invitation for hackers. You already know you have one so you don鈥檛 need to broadcast it. Check the manual for your hardware and figure out how to disable broadcasting.

No comments:

Post a Comment